Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Day Three-Seventy-Four - The Tax Man Cometh....

Okay, so after a solid day of Donny and Marie songs rolling around in my head, I think I am almost back to normal this morning.  But if I suddenly break out in a song and dance routine during this posting, I hope you'll forgive me.  I was so happy to see the response to the Donny and Marie / Birthday Party Blog yesterday.  I got the best engagement scores that I have gotten in a long time.  Who knew I knew so many geeks???  Okay, I did.  But still, way to come through geeks!

So today's the big day.  I still haven't completed my taxes and the IRS apparently doesn't take too kindly to those who don't turn that stuff in.  So my day will be spent right here in front of my computer.  That is actually what I was supposed to have done yesterday.  But yesterday it was just like I was back in college.  I knew I needed to work on the taxes and yet every time I even got close to the computer, I realized that there was a piece of stray cat food sitting next to a cat bowl rather than in it that must immediately be cleaned up.  Or I walked into the kitchen for water and realized that the water stain on the ceiling that has been there since last summer when my A/C went haywire could not continue to exist for even one more minute without me doing something about it.  So, I continued to procrastinate throughout the day and today I am no closer to being done with my taxes than I was yesterday morning.

In years past, I did it and had no problem completing it in one sitting.  I would just sit down at the computer and be done a few hours later.  One year when I itemized due to a few larger than normal donations during the year, I think I probably took 4 or 5 hours to complete the task.  But otherwise, I've never spent more than a couple of hours on taxes.  Mine have always been very straight forward and easy to do.  But let me tell you....  When you start your own business all of that changes.  This crap is complicated!!!!!

In case you were unclear.  Let me just go ahead and tell you that Uncle Sam is NOT your friend.  He is a big, fat, hairy monster hiding under your bed who wants to wait until you are sound asleep and crawl out and suck the very life out of you.  I'm using TurboTax and I've always liked it in the past because as you go, it keeps a running total of either your amount due or your refund in the upper left hand corner.  If it's a refund it sort of dangles there like a carrot coaxing you along in the process.  But if it is an amount due, (I can tell you because this happened to me a few weeks ago) it has the exact opposite effect.  It makes you want to shut your computer down and crawl up under your desk holding your knees close to your chest in a fetal position.  I've never had to mail the IRS a check before and I am not even through so I am pretty certain that when I finish I will probably get a small refund but just the knowledge that I am seeing a number in the upper left hand corner that is what I owe them and not what they owe me is very upsetting!  My world has gone all cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs!

There have been years in the past when I have taken really nice vacations on my tax refund.  Once I got lasic surgery with my refund and paid cash.  I had dreams of taking this years refund and heading off to some exotic locale.  I guess instead, maybe Michelle and the girls will take my check and go there instead.  Well, the joke's on them because I don't make enough to pay for more than a trip to Chuck E Cheese and we all know that they are accustomed to much better than that.

So, I will go in the kitchen now and get myself some breakfast.  Incidentally, I haven't eaten breakfast in the last month but the knowledge that TurboTax awaits me at my computer has made me suddenly very hungry for bacon and eggs.... maybe a little french toast too.....  After breakfast I'll fire up the TurboTax program and spend the rest of the day cursing the IRS.  When the weather is this perfect no one should ever be stuck in front of a computer on a Sunday.  I wonder what it takes to file an extension.....  "When the deeeeeep purple falls.... over sleepy garden walls.... and the starts begin to twinkle in the niiiiiiiiiiiight...."

No comments:

Post a Comment