Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Monday, April 16, 2012

Day Ten - Time to Start the Heavy Lifting

It's been ten days, it is time to either do some heavy cleaning, start demolition or find a trip to go on. Of course, you all know that I have scoured every travel website looking for a great trip at an amazing price and so far I have been unsuccessful. That leaves heavy cleaning and demolition.

Although, demolition is not out of the question, I think I will start off with heavy cleaning. So, today I am tackling all of the spaces in my living room that you can't see unless you get on a ladder or on your hands a knees.

In case you haven't been to my house, let me explain. As you walk in my front door, you look directly into an open staircase (the kind where you can see between each step). Below the staircase is my desk where I am sitting now. To the left of the staircase is my dining room with a doorway into the kitchen directly behind it. To the right of the staircase is the living room. Behind the living room is a tiny little eat-in area and a patio. The guest half bath is behind the kitchen near the garage door. Almost the entire downstairs can be seen from the front door. My living room at it highest point has an 18 foot ceiling and the guest bedroom which is upstairs has a loft which looks into the living room.

This morning, I walked the downstairs and decided that while the kitchen and half bath are spotless and the rest of the downstairs is surface clean, it leaves a LOT to be desired. So, don't let today's short task list fool you. This will be my busiest day so far. Cleaning this living room, which leads to cleaning the dining room and the patio will be a chore! Cleaning the desk alone, could take hours!

Of course, as my close followers know.... the most difficult task will be getting those clean clothes off of the doorknob and into the closet. Who knew when I started this, that five pairs of bluejeans would be what finally defeats me??!?!?!?! Oh, and by the way, it is now down to four pairs of bluejeans since I wore one of them yesterday. Maybe if I just stand my ground, I will eventually wear them all without ever putting any of them in the closet.

Regarding yesterday, the first item on my list was to bake a cake. Did it! I found a recipe in an old cookbook that I took from my mom's house when I left for college. I am pretty sure that it is older than me. I'm including the recipe below exactly as it is typed in the cookbook. I hope you enjoy.

Coffee Cake - Joan Wuthrich

Mix:
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter
1 egg

Add to the above mixture (Do not over-mix!)
1/2 c. milk
1-1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Pour into 9 x 9 in. greased pan and sprinkle on this topping:
3/4 c. brown sugar 2 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon 4 tbsp melted butter
1/2 c. chopped nuts


Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes.

I can't even describe to you how yummy this was yesterday while it was still hot with a cup of tea! Too all of my unemployed jcp 600 who might be reading this..... I am already starting to plan a coffee that I would like to invite you over for where this will be served!

In cat news, as Katherine pointed out yesterday on FB, Shiner is trying to get more of the blog spotlight. With that in mind he caught a lizard on the patio yesterday afternoon and brought it in the house. He loves the recognition, but he is also smart enough to understand that when I scream and point at the door, he better remove all live creatures from the house. So he immediately picked it up and took it back outside where he played with it for an hour or so then feasted... ick! I'm posting a picture of the little hunter in hopes of curbing his fame seeking ways.

Meanwhile, Jingle continues to recover quite nicely from his teeth issues. I think the diet that the vet put both of them on is already starting to make a difference in Jingle. The vet said his coat would become prettier and less flaky within six weeks, but I think it is already working!

Time to get busy on this living room. Maybe I'll just run upstairs and move those clean clothes into the closet...... HA!

1 comment: