Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Day Three-Eighty-Eight - What a SURPRISE!

Yeah, I know, you don't need to say anything although several of you have.  I realize I haven't been keeping up with the blogs.  The thing is, I've been too busy lately.  Yesterday I had every intention of writing on this one, but work got in the way.  I was busy booking a big ol' trip to Disney for clients.  It's tough doing that!  I'm not complaining.  Disney can pay the bills if this keeps up.  I'm just sayin', until you guys start paying me to write blog entries, they come in a distant second to booking travel.

So a few weeks ago I wrote about my dislike of birthday parties since becoming an adult and particularly birthday parties that take place in restaurants with strangers singing.....  Well, I haven't blogged since my birthday so I suppose I should fill you all in.  As I wrote that blog confidently knowing that my family and friends would never do something so heinous to me they were secretly planning a surprise birthday party for me at of all places, Razzoos!  And they all think they are soooooo funny because they pulled it off.  I was totally shocked mostly because I really get freaked out about that sort of thing so I never imagined that they would do it to me.  But here's the weird part.... it was fun!  I had such a great time and couldn't wipe the big goofy smile off of my face the entire night.

I have to say that I was most shocked that all of my nephews and my niece could all make it.  I mean, I get that my Mom, Dad and brothers could be there.  After all, we're all old and we have no lives anymore.  But my nephews and niece range from ages 15 to 25 and they actually have lives.  But still they dropped everything and drove to Dallas for the weekend to spend an evening with me for my birthday.  Matt even drove all the way from Lubbock!  My mom even called a few of my closest friends and invited them to join us.  So in all, I celebrated my birthday with my parents, Robbie, Eileen, Matt, Chris, Tim, Ronnie, Jacob, Jeni, Rebecca, Sherie, Julian, Alex, Katherine and Jenny.  After dinner, cake and gifts at Razzoos we all came back over to my house and that's when things really got loud.

My nephew, Chris never met a party he didn't want to the be the life of and he and I are both poor pathetic, mistreated middle children and obviously scarred by it.  So, we commiserate on that topic and since it was my party, Chris and I expounded on that many times throughout the night.  When we were in college his dad once tried to do a little stand up comedy in a local club in Nacogdoches.  He got that out of his system pretty quickly.  But I think Chris got his entertainment gene from his dad and carries on the tradition.

My friend Katherine, always one of the best smart asses in the world really knows how to drive a point home.  It's one of the reasons we are such good friends.  We met when we both worked at Prestonwood Mall together.  I didn't really know her well and for associate shopping night that year, we had to guard the doors at the lingerie entrance letting corporate office people in.  All night we stood at the doors commenting on people as they came and went.  Listening to her cynical comments, I knew that we were destined to be friends.

Back when we both worked at Park Central and had offices next door to one another, I would come back from a birthday/crawfish boil at my parents house and complain that Mom had made an Italian Cream cake for my birthday.  I hate Italian Cream cakes, but my brother, Robbie likes them.  For some reason my mom must have had it in her head that I liked it too.  To keep from hurting her feelings I would take a piece and eat a bite or two of it.  (Which probably made her think the following year that I loved Italian Cream cake.)  Then after the weekend, I'd go back to work and complain for a full day to Katherine about how I got crummy Italian Cream cake for my birthday just because it was my brother's favorite.  Now, 13 years later Katherine still brings it up from time to time and we LAUGH, LAUGH, LAUGH, about it.  So apparently when my Mom called her and asked her if she could pick up a cake for the party at Razzoos Katherine REALLY wanted to get an Italian Cream cake and insisted to my Mom that I would think it was just hysterical.  Mom was telling me about it and laughing her butt off.  Honestly, it would have been pretty funny.

It was so nice to see Sherie, Julian and Alex again.  I haven't seen Julian and Alex in ages.  It's been a year since I saw Sherie.  You should never go that long without seeing people who are that important to you.  Between the time that Julian lived in my apartment in Conroe while he was still working down there after Sherie had moved to Mesquite and the time that Sherie, Julian and Alex all moved in with me after selling the house in Mesquite and waiting for their house in Rowlett to be completed Julian has lived with me longer than anyone else in my life that I wasn't related to.  It's nice to be such good friends with someone that she'll just loan you her husband from time to time.  And it's even better when he feels like another one of your brothers.

And let's face it, without Jenny, I would never have made it to Europe, Seattle or Key West.  I would have been on a lot fewer cruises and I would have drank a lot less wine in my life.  In fact today we're meeting at Mojito's for lunch.  'Cause that's how we roll.

The only people who couldn't make it to the party were Ronnie's wife Christina who unfortunately was still dealing with her Dad's estate down in Bay City and Matt's wife Melissa who needed to be in Nacogdoches for the weekend.  All in all, it rivaled the Donny Osmond and the skating party for best parties of all time.  So, way to go family and friends, job well done!  Now it's time to get busy on the next 50 years!  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment