Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Day Two-Forty-Four - Elves and Such

I have several friends who have elves loose in their houses this Christmas season.  For them, it might be a hassle or just something that is kinda cool when their kids discover what the elf did while they slept the previous night.  But it makes me jealous.  This is the one time of year it would be so fun to have small kids.  Kids who believe in the magic of Christmas are about the funnest things in the world.

A few days ago, people started posting pictures on Facebook late at night of the positions their elf was in for the night.  I know that this is happening for your kids, but some of us adults look forward all day to what your household elf will do overnight.  In fact, it can become a little difficult to go to sleep before we know.  Seriously, I thought the other day that perhaps my cats needed some elf action just so that I could play along.  Fortunately, I was able to stop myself before I got carried away mostly because I worried that people would be like....  "Wait, why does Susan have an elf roaming around in her house???  She has no kids...."  Then all of the crazy cat lady rumors would start up and we all know where that leads.

So, I live vicariously through your elves.  If you have an elf in your house and photos of it can safely be posted on FB without fear of exposing any of your elf helpers, those of us without one of the little rascals roaming around our homes would love to see what he is up to.  Honestly, this could be more fun for the adults than the kids.  If you can't act a little like a kid at Christmas time, when can you, right?

In other news, my foundation repair is scheduled to begin today.  I got up bright an early at 7 a.m. since they made a point of calling and reminding me a number of times that it would start today and I needed to be here to let the foreman in the house.  I guess he has to take elevations in the house again although that has been happening on a regular basis for the last several months.  Meanwhile, I am up and dressed and waiting, waiting, waiting and no foundation guys are here yet.  I wonder if they will show up sometime before lunch.  They obviously are unaware that they are dealing with someone who has an aversion to the first 7 o'clock of each day.  I completely prefer for my 7 o'clocks to fall in the evening.

I feel like I should clarify.  Nobody told me to be ready for foundation guys at 7 a.m.  But I know that laborers generally begin work early in the day and so I assumed that they would begin at least by 8 and I wanted to be prepared.  It is after 8 and the only traffic I have seen in the last hour is the handicap school bus that picks a kid up a few buildings over everyday.  I mean, the garbage truck always empties the dumpster one building over before 8 a.m.  Don't foundation repair guys and garbage truck drivers work on roughly the same schedule?

My sleep schedule has become a little bothersome lately.  As you all may have heard, you know unless you are deaf or didn't know who I was prior to today, I will be going on a cruise in 47 days.  As you also may know my travel buddy, Jenny still works at the former employer who shall not be named which means she still has a normal work schedule.  So, she still gets up early every morning and therefore she apparently goes to bed slightly earlier than I do every night.  In the last month or so, she has expressed concern about how we will be able to share a cabin on the cruise ship with our sleep schedules differing so much these days.  I have tried to assure her that when necessary I do go to bed at a normal time and get up early like others.

For some reason, when I am at my parents house, this is true.  I can go to bed prior to midnight every night there.  I think it has something to do with a relaxation thing.  For me, spending a few days in Nacogdoches is like taking a handful of Lunesta.  What does this say about Nacogdoches???  I don't know.  But the fact is that I do go to sleep before midnight when I am there.  Maybe the motion of a cruise ship will have the same relaxing effect on me that Nacogdoches does.

Meanwhile, since Sunday night I have been making an effort to get sleepy and hit the sack early and last night I was even upstairs before 11 p.m. and still I sat up reading until after 2 a.m.  At 12:30 I suddenly put my Nook down and decided that I simply would not be able to sleep unless the litter box was not just scooped but completely changed with a new liner and all, so I brought a fresh 40 pound box of cat litter in the house at 12:30 last night.  Even the cats had puzzled looks on their faces.  I'm sure that if I spoke cat, I would have heard Shiner saying to Jingle, "What the hell is she doing????  Does she know what time it is????  That box doesn't need to be changed tonight.  Shouldn't we be sleeping now?"  Shiner is very inquisitive....

So anyway even though I have made an effort to get to bed earlier all week this week, it has actually resulted in a lot less sleep for me than normal.  I think I haven't slept more than 5 hours any night since last Saturday.  I am sure that if I continue on this schedule, my body will eventually give in and just start sleeping when I get in bed.  But for now, it is making me pretty grumpy.  I am no fun to be around when I am sleep deprived.  So, if all of you could have conversations with your house elves this evening and ask them to get to work early tonight so that I can see where they end up before 10 or so, I would be grateful.  Thanks for your support.  Have a good Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment