Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day 60 - Sleep Deprived Random Thoughts

It's another early morning for me.  I'm not sure what is up with Jingle.  I think he's just getting too much sleep during the day.   Right now he seems to have decided that my desk is the best place for him to be.  So, my keyboard is on my lap and he is sitting on the desk where the keyboard should be staring at me like he just won something.  In a way, I guess he did.  After all, it is before 7 a.m., he is fed, I am awake, and he is sitting exactly where he wants to be while I am inconvenienced.

Shiner is out on the patio.  I personally think he is the real winner in all of this.  He is the sweet cat who slept all night long snuggled up against me quietly, never moving a muscle except to get comfortable again each time I rolled over during the night.  Then when Jingle got me up early, Shiner ran downstairs, was the first one fed and then ran out onto the patio where he is happiest.  He will stay out there most of the day unless I make him come in so that I can leave the house.  When I think about the fact that I got up before 6 two mornings in a row, I get mad at Jingle.  Meanwhile, Shiner may have benefited more than Jingle.

I am experimenting this morning with decaffeinated coffee.  I made my normal size pot of coffee today but substituted one scoop of decaf for one of the regular scoops of coffee when I made it.  I'm not a coffee snob.  I probably won't know the difference.  I don't understand people who know the difference between brands of coffee.  Sometimes I notice if a coffee is stronger than other kinds of coffee, but that is really the only difference I can ever tell.  I buy the brand of coffee that is the cheapest usually.  Currently, I am drinking Folgers because it was on sale the last time I went to the grocery store.  Basically, I get the biggest can of coffee I can get for the money.

Remember when cans of coffee actually came in cans?  That was great.  You could reuse the can for something other than just storing things.  At Christmas time, you could take the paper label off of the can, clean it and bake pumpkin bread in it.  Then you could decorate the can and give the pumpkin bread in the can as a gift.  Greatness!

I have one plastic coffee can in my garage with nails and screws and the little allen wrenches you get with stuff that you buy that has to be assembled.  I'm not really sure why I keep those things.  Do I think one of these days, I'll get something new that requires assembly and the allen wrench won't be included and I'll have just what I need in my Folgers can?  No.  Because when it gets right down to it, I won't be able to find the damn Folgers can anyway.

All the rest of my Folgers, Maxwell House and Chock-Full-O-Nuts cans get thrown away as they are emptied.  I live in condos, so we have dumpsters which means no recycling.  So, they just end up in a landfill.  When I hear the garbage truck picking up the dumpster 3 mornings a week, I imagine that big pile of garbage in the movie Idiocracy.  I sincerely doubt that those big honking plastic cans are biodegradable.  So, they are just sitting on top of the pile.

I do still have one metal coffee can still.  It is in my refrigerator and is used as my grease dripping can.  When I fry bacon or anything else that creates grease, the drippings go in that can.  It has been emptied and cleaned many times throughout the years.  I take care of it like I would a piece of jewelry since it is almost as valuable.  When I was growing up my Mom had a grease can.  I think it actually said "Grease" across the front of it.  There was a filter under the lid so that you could filter out the food particles in the grease.  I have been looking for one of those grease cans like that for years.  I guess people don't use them anymore, which makes me wonder what they do with the grease after they fry bacon.  You can't pour it down the disposal since it will clog the drain.  Surely, they don't wait until it is completely cool and then dispose of it in the trashcan.  Who could stand the smell that grease sitting on the stove for an hour after the rest of the kitchen is clean?  And then you would still have to empty it and clean one more pan.  What a hassle.

I have to say that this has puzzled me for a very long time.  If they no longer sell grease cans and coffee only comes in plastic cans that would melt if hot grease was poured into them, how are other people getting rid of grease?  Maybe that is why so many people eat out.  I know that restaurants have people who come around and collect their grease.  I learned that from The Simpsons.  I also saw it happening at Sonic once when I was there in the middle of the afternoon.  I probably wouldn't have known what was going on at Sonic that day if I hadn't seen Homer and Bart collecting grease on The Simpsons first.

Jingle seems to be at peace now.  He has whined non-stop most of the morning.  At one point I actually had to take the Bob Hope autograph off the wall because he was moving it so much.  I finally followed him out into the garage a few minutes ago because I couldn't figure out what he wanted.  He walked around my car several times, and then got on his hind legs with his front paws on the driver side door.  So, I finally opened the car door.  He went inside, smelled around and is now sound asleep in the driver seat.  Crazy damn cat.  I think I'll go take a nap now.

No comments:

Post a Comment