Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day Ninety-Six - Whining and Moaning

Fortunately, some storms came through the area late yesterday afternoon and cooled things off.  I didn't get any of the rain at my house, but the clouds resulted in the lowest temperatures of the week.  It is after 8 a.m. and still the outside temperature has not risen above 80 degrees!  Two weeks ago you would not have gotten a weather report from me unless a tornado went barreling through my bedroom overnight.  But I suddenly have a fairly strong interest in what the weather does.

I still slept on the couch last night but I was able to sleep with a sheet over me for the first time in days.  It was so nice to snuggle down into a fabric softener scented sheet!  Jingle slept at the end of the couch in his little cat magnet bed.  I do not know where Shiner slept since he is more of a floor dweller unless he can spread out across a nice comfortable queen size (or larger) bed.  Shiner is not one of those cats that curls up into a cute little ball to sleep. He must stretch and make himself as long as possible.  I think that it is a contest for him to see how long he can make himself.  He even stretches his front legs out in front of his face and his back legs and tail lay down straight out behind him.  He is the only 10 lb. cat in the world who can lay across the foot of a queen size bed and leave no room for his human to put her feet.  So, there was no room for him on the couch.

Even with the cooler temperature and the sheet, I did not get much sleep last night.  I think it is mostly my own fault.  I watched a couple of movies.  At around 10 or 11 I watched Bride Wars with Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson.  Then once that was over Father of the Bride came on.... the one with Steve Martin, not the Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor one.  I like them both.  I like some things about the Steve Martin one more than the old one.  But I do love Spencer Tracy.  For me he was one of the great actors of all time.

One of my all time favorite movies is still The Desk Set.  Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn were gold when they were together.  For years, I used a line from that movie when someone asked me about my job.  I would always say, "I love it here.  If I didn't work here, I'd pay to get in!"  It was a line delivered by Hepburn in The Desk Set.  I thought it was genius.  If you've never seen the movie, I highly recommend it.  I think it is especially good at Christmas time, but it is a movie worth watching any time of the year.

So, Lamar, the genius A/C repairman is supposed to be here today between noon and 2.  I don't know if he is supposed to call before he comes over.  I finally got to speak to a supervisor at 1st American last night.  I am being reimbursed $150 for the water cooler thing I bought on Thursday.  It isn't much.  But I'll even take the small victories in my war with them at this point.

My mom and dad are coming up on Tuesday.  If this thing isn't fixed, it will get ugly.  I got them tickets for The Jersey Boys on Tuesday night for my mom's birthday and since I got them through Stub Hub, I will lose my money if they aren't used.  Which means that if the air conditioner isn't fixed, I will have to put them in a hotel.  On top of the fact that I will have been dealing with this for two weeks the money out of my pocket as a result is about to really start growing if it isn't fixed before they get here Tuesday.  Maybe I could try to resale the tickets if I knew that this would not be resolved by then.  But I won't know until at least later today if it will be resolved and it could be Tuesday afternoon before I know if whatever repairs he makes will hold until then.

On top of everything else, after I thought it was fixed yesterday, I went and bought groceries so that I could start cooking at home again.  I spent $100 on groceries yesterday and wound up having cheese and crackers for dinner again because it was too hot to cook.  I can't tell you how tired I am of cheese and crackers.  I don't care if I ever see another Wheat Thin again!  The good news is that I have lost 3 lbs.  I probably just sweated it off.  When the A/C starts working properly again, I will probably be right back where I was.

Yesterday when I thought it was fixed, I had also gotten motivated to head back to the gym.  But I just don't know if I can face sweating at the gym and then coming home and being even hotter here than I was while I was on a treadmill or elyptical trainer.  You would think that after you have suffered through an hour or so on a treadmill you could look forward to the reward of a cool home when you leave the gym.

I am sure that if I sat here and dwelled on it, I could come up with countless other problems that I could blame on this air conditioner and my home warranty company.  So far, they are responsible for the heat in my home, the money I spent on a water cooler, the money I spent at the grocery store, my lack of sleep, the money that I have spent getting the compressor chemically cleaned and the money that I will have to spend to fix the massive water stain on the ceiling in my kitchen.  They might ruin my mom's birthday.  In the long run, I will probably gain weight from all of this since it is too hot to go to the gym if I am going to be hot when I get home.  I'm quite certain that given enough time to think about it, I could blame them for the U.S. economy and famine in Africa.  But I will leave it at that for now.  I am going to go get ready to do this day.

Have a great Sunday and stay cool my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment