Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day One-Ten - Mosquitoes the Size of Seagulls!

I had big plans for this morning.  I was going to get up early, write my blog entry and then get ready for church.  After church I planned to deliver wine to my friend Jenny since our first wine club delivery from the winery we visited while in San Francisco was this week.  Then I was going to come home and do some serious cleaning around this house.

Instead, I slept until 9:15, made coffee and now I sit here loitering in front of my computer contemplating what I will write about.  I could write about the fact that I am probably getting West Nile Virus from simply walking into my powder room downstairs.  I think I have mosquitoes breeding in there and every time I walk in, I get another mosquito bite.  The most recent one is on the top of my foot.   Or I could write about something else that Ronnie did when we were kids.... that's always entertaining.  I could write about how it took me not 4 or 5 hours yesterday but a total of 9 hours to download all of my Europe pictures to Shutterfly.  That would be cool, because then I could bore you with said pictures.

Alright, you win, mosquitoes it is!  So, how in the hell did they get in my house in sufficient quantities to begin breeding in a toilet in one of my bathrooms?  And what do I do about them?  I have cleaned that bathroom and toilet multiple times thinking that mosquitoes probably don't like Clorox.  Apparently, they do.  Or at least they tolerate it well.  It's probably making them stronger.  I'm probably creating a strain of super mosquitoes that will soon take over the world once they have become totally immune to toilet bowl cleaner and Clorox.  When the world is taken over by bathroom breed mosquitoes, you will have me to thank.

I think this is happening because I happen to live in the only house in the Metroplex that has seen no rain in more than a month.  There is no water left outside, so they have come inside.  I was in McKinney last Saturday and a terrible storm came in there.  Water was running through the parking lot like a flash flood.  My friend got stuck out in it and had to run through the rain into the restaurant.  She was soaking wet from 30 seconds in it.  I thought to myself, this rain is headed straight for my house!  I will surely get some.  I think there may have even been a gleam in my eye as I had that thought.  Ummmm... not so much.  As I drove home that evening, there was water standing in every street I went through.  It was terrific!  Then I got to my neighborhood and it was bone dry.

In the last few weeks, pop up storms have been happening practically every evening in some part of the Metroplex.  They travel for several miles before they fall apart and they almost always start breaking up within a few miles of my house.  Sometimes, on the weather radar, you can see the clouds split just before they reach my house and then I think they go back together after they pass.  I'm not sure what I did to deserve this.  I am sure that if it would rain, the mosquitoes could be coaxed out to my patio where mosquitoes belong.  Then when the mosquito fogger comes by, zap!  I'd be rid of my problems.

The mosquitoes in my house are growing so big that I am afraid I will have to start putting leashes on them and taking them for walks in the evenings.  When your mosquitoes come up and tap your shoulder so you can let them out for a little while, that is bad news.

I was watching an old episode of Dirty Jobs the other night with Mike Rowe (I love him!) and it was one from a year or so after Hurricane Katrina and he was in New Orleans helping clean up.  There was a segment in which he worked with people who were trying to get their arms around the mosquito problem.  They were catching bait fish and releasing them into unattended pools so that they would eat the mosquito larva.  Kind of ingenious.  So, if someone can come up with ways of getting rid of mosquitoes in New Orleans after the worst hurricane in history, surely they can come up with a way to get them out of my bathroom.  But I haven't figured it out yet.  Maybe I should call Mike Rowe and tell him I have a dirty job for him.  Hmmmmm.... two birds, one stone!  I could get rid of my mosquitoes AND finally catch the man of my dreams all in the same day.

Excuse me while I make some calls....  Have a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment