Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Day One-Oh-Two - Sewing 101?

I am very excited.  I took my sewing machine to Hancock's on Thursday for this tune up thing and the guy called yesterday afternoon to let me know that it was ready and running very smoothly now.  I have wanted to learn to sew for a long time so that is why I am excited.  Now there is nothing standing in my way.... except threading the machine.

What do you do if you don't even know the most basic of things like threading the sewing machine?  I mean, I have done that before, but it was at least 20 years ago and I remember it being very difficult.  I could be in a near state of panic over nothing at all.  Maybe I will go pick it up in a few hours, bring it home, put it back in the cabinet and it will just all come to me.

I tried cutting a pattern out once when I was in high school.  I think that attempt ended in me throwing away the pattern, material and all.  It was hard to understand and I had no patience.  Hopefully my patience is a little better now than it was when I was a teenager.  My mom is a great seamstress.  I asked her to teach me to sew once just about the same time that I threw away that pattern.  She said that I never listened to anything she said, so why would I listen to her telling me how to sew?  She had a point.  I do think I am teachable now, but I probably wasn't then.

So assuming I can figure out how to thread the machine, I really want to make a quilt.  I mean realistically I would just be piecing it together.  I would take it to someone else for the actual quilting part.  The other day when Mom and I were at Joann's, they had these quilt kits and I wanted to get one so badly.  But it seemed stupid to buy one when I didn't even have a working sewing machine.  It still seems stupid to buy one until I have successfully threaded my sewing machine.  But I think I am getting closer to getting one of those quilt kits.

When I was a kid my mom and grandmother made all of my clothes.  I was always so jealous of all the other kids at Fredonia Elementary who got to wear blue jeans and tee shirts to school.  I was forced to wear beautiful handmade dresses everyday!  Ugh!  It was awful!  Why would anybody want to wear a gorgeous handmade dress when she could put on some blue jeans and a tee shirt and look like everyone else?  Mom also made me these cute little short sets in the summer with tops that had cutout backs.  They were so cute.  I hated them.  I just wanted to wear blue jean shorts and tee shirts.  I would go through my brothers old blue jeans that didn't fit them anymore and try them on to see if they would fit me and then go beg my mom to let me cut them off.  I was a tomboy and there was no room in my life for cute short sets.

About 20 years ago, I bought a pattern and some fabric one day when my mom and I went shopping in Beaumont.  Mom made me this terrific circle skirt and top out of it.  I loved that skirt and top.  I totally wore it out.  If I can learn how to thread this sewing machine and then how to cut out a pattern, maybe I will make something like that.  Maybe I am getting ahead of myself.  For now, I should probably stick with just trying to figure out where the thread goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment