Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day One-Fourteen - Stupid Air Conditioner!

Sometimes I write my blog post at night and then reread it the following morning and then decide whether or not I am going to post it or write something else.  I do this if a thought strikes me in the evening that I think I would like to write about.  If I don't go ahead and get it in the computer, I fear that I will lay awake all night worrying about forgetting it before the morning.  I am after all, very forgetful.  I wrote a post last night.  But after getting up and rereading it this morning, I decided it was too corny and sentimental to post.

So, I began whipping up a new post.  This one included photos and everything.  I wrote on it for an hour or so and then decided I was too hot to deal with the challenges that I was facing in ever wrapping up what I wanted to say.  Then I began to think that it was very strange that I was hot at all.  After all, I just had the coil replaced in my air conditioner on July 9th.  I looked at the thermostat and it was 80 degrees in my house!!!!!  So, I went to the kitchen to see if, horror of horrors, the unit was leaking into my kitchen ceiling again and naturally it was.  I turned everything off and immediately called the home warranty company again. Amazingly enough, Victor and his apprentice, the same guys who finally diagnosed my last problem and got the work rolling on the new coil were here within 2 hours.  Victor says this time that my compressor is no longer able to push the Freon through the unit.  Basically, it is old and worn out.  So, I will need a new compressor.

While I am very happy that I will have totally new air conditioning soon, I can't help but wish that they had figured this out on July 9th.  I knew then that the compressor wasn't going to last much longer.  Didn't they?  Victor said that since they have been here so many times working on my unit he was sure they would put a rush on this.  He then optimistically said that it could be fixed by tomorrow or the next day if they could get the compressor fast enough.  In my head, I was think "TOMORROW OR THE NEXT DAY???!?!?!!? ARE YOU KIDDING??!?!!"  but I was very nice and thanked him.  I am waiting now to hear back from his office.  They, of course, have to send the paper work to the home warranty company who has to approve the replacement of the compressor.  Then they will have to figure out how much I am going to have to pay out of my pocket since the home warranty company doesn't cover disposal of the old unit, bringing things up to code and all of that stuff.  Hopefully, I will get the call with the bad news today and then they will schedule a time to actually replace it.  When they finally show up with the new compressor, I sort of hope Benito is the one to do the work.  He was nice and I will be excited to find out how his kids are doing.  After all, I have spent more time with Benito this summer than just about anyone I know.

I just wonder what will go out next....  I'm sure that as soon as it gets cold, the heater will bite the dust...  I mean that's a given.  But surly, something will go wrong before then.  My dishwasher has been making weird noises lately and the other night, the refrigerator did this really ugly groan.  Groaning noises from the kitchen appliances are practically never good.  If appliances start going out, I hope they can only be replaced by beautiful state of the art stainless steel appliances.  But somehow I doubt that will be the case.  I'll get brand spanking new ugly white utilitarian appliances that I will be stuck with for the next 15 or 20 years.

I'm too hot to sit under these stairs any longer typing so I am going to close for today.  I'm going to go open the refrigerator door and listen to it groan while I cool off.  I'll try to be a little more upbeat tomorrow.  Have a good afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment