Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day One-Oh-Nine - The Stresses of a Photobook Discount

I went to Europe four years ago.  After I got back I started working on one of those scrapbooks where you cut everything out and hand write everything in it.  I bought a ton of scrapbooking stuff and thought I would use it all for years to come.  I never finished that scrapbook.  It is big and takes up a lot of room, some of the few pictures that I managed to paste in are beginning to fall out when I pick it up to dust.  I don't like it.

About six months after returning from Europe I went to Seattle for several days.  After returning from Seattle my friend who I travel with introduced me to the brilliance of photobooks.  My first photobook was from the Seattle trip.  Since then I have become addicted.  I can do them on line, there is not cutting and pasting.  I don't have to hand write anything.  It is all done on my computer.  That first one was done on Kodak.  Since then I have also done a Key West book, one from a Celebrity Cruise we went on to the Eastern Caribbean and of course Hawaii.  Key West, the cruise and Hawaii were all done on Snapfish.  I like Snapfish because they offer discounts periodically so you can put your photobook together and then just wait for the next sale before you order it.  I completed and ordered the photobook for the San Francisco trip on Snapfish last week. It is scheduled to be delivered sometime on Monday.  I can't wait!

As I am sure you all know, Kodak sold their on line photo business to Shutterfly recently.  I had several thousand photos on my Kodak site so they are supposed to move over to Shutterfly.  They haven't yet.  But that is okay because I back all of my important photos up on flashdrives.  So this morning I am loading Europe photos from a flashdrive to Shutterfly because they are having a 50% off sale!  The sale lasts until 7/30.  I usually take a few weeks to put a photobook together, so this is going to be a tight window for me especially since I took all of these photos four years ago which could make writing the copy a challenge.

The upload is running in the background as I work on this blog.  It has another four hours to go.... just to finish uploading the pictures I took.  I still need to see if I can find the pictures that Jenny took.  She asked me to bring her a copy that she could load onto a flash drive a few weeks ago because she was having trouble locating hers.  I couldn't find her pictures.  I hope I have them somewhere.  According to Shutterfly, what I had on my Kodak site should be transferred over to Shutterfly in a "few more days" but whether or not they will be there with enough time for me to include them in the photobook that has to be completed and ordered by the 30th is a big question.

I woke up at 6 a.m. stressing out over this.  I used to endure sleepless nights because I had to find a way to hit a 38% profit number that we all knew could never be done.  I don't mind waking up at 6 a.m. due to the stress of getting a photobook completed in time to get a 50% discount on it.  Sure, soon, I will probably start  experiencing sleepless nights because money will become tight.  But at least it will be a problem that I can effect.  Like, you know.... I could get a job.  Or I could buy groceries at Kroger all the time instead of going to Central Market three times a week.  I could cut back on the number of photobooks I am buying or the number of trips I am taking..... nah!  I think getting a job will be key since I don't really want to cut back on too much other stuff.  I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will be fine with making less money if it means not having to do a job like the one I was doing before.  I always knew that I didn't enjoy my job, but I never knew how much I hated it until after I got out of it.  Who knew that more than 1/3 of my life, I was absolutely miserable!

I just went to look at the progress of my photo upload, now it says there are 5 hours and 23 minutes remaining in my upload.  How does the amount of time increase?????  Twenty minutes ago, it said 4 hours.  I don't really understand that.  It's not like I added more photos to be uploaded.  When it gave me the original 4 hour estimate was it not really looking at the number of photos but just giving me a number that wouldn't scare me too bad... you know like the kind of number that a planner gives a PAD concerning where profit will come in?  Maybe the person who wrote this program for Shutterfly previously worked for my former employer and is still under the mistaken impression that the world just wants to hear the best possible number even though chances of getting to the best possible number or slim to none and eventually you will have to deliver the bad news so why just tell the world up front that it is going to take more than 5 hours?  Ugh!

Okay, Jingle is trying to sit on the keyboard now.  So I better get busy.  I'll let you know tomorrow if the upload ever finishes.  Have a great Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment