Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day Ninety Eight - Air Conditioning Update!

Yesterday was very eventful air conditioner-wise.  To begin with, I waited around until 9 a.m. for 1st American to call and let me know that they had gotten the report from Lumart AC's visit on Sunday.  At 9, I decided not to just sit around and wait any longer.  I called 1st American and was on hold for 32 minutes.  When I got an operator, he asked me why I was calling and I told him to read my file and I would just wait.  I'm surprised I couldn't hear his lips moving as he read.  Five minutes later, he finished reading and said that they had not yet received the report from Sunday's visit.  I asked if they could call Lumart and request that they send it.  He said no, that they would get it sometime within 24 hours and then they would be back in touch.

So, I hung up the phone and called Lumart and asked them if there was any chance they could go ahead and send that report to 1st American because I was kind of hot.  She said that the boss usually does that around 2 each day.  I asked if the boss was there so that maybe I could light a fire under him.  She said he was out of the office right then, but she would put my report on top of this pile and ask him to do it as soon as he got back.

At 10:30 I got a call from Lumart.  She said that the boss had sent my report in and called 1st American for an immediate response.  A new coil, freon holder thing, insulation, piping, wiring, blah, blah, blah had all been approved and then she told me what my out of pocket expense would be.  Honestly all I heard was the sound of a working air conditioner running in my mind.  She probably said other stuff, but I didn't hear it.  I was told that once I gave them authorization for that, they would get the parts ordered from the local warehouse and be out later in the day to do the work once they confirmed that everything was available locally!!!!  

So, then at 4 I had not heard back from anyone, so I called back and she said that the tech had been caught up on another job and he wasn't going to be able to make it to my house until first thing Tuesday, but I would be the first job on Tuesday.... sometime around 9 a.m.  I was disappointed but decided I could live one more night.  Then at 4:30 the phone rang once and the caller hung up before I could answer.  It was Lumart! So, I hurriedly called back and asked if they had just called.  It was the same girl that I had already talked to a couple of times during the day.  She said that she had called, but then she hung up because she wanted to wait until she had a little more information but since I was already on the phone she would just tell me that she had talked to the tech again and he said that since my coil was located inside the house in a closet that he could do it last night if he could get to the warehouse to pick up the parts in time.  But he didn't know if he could get to the warehouse before it closed.  So she said she would call back when she knew more.  I asked her to please call back either way so that I would know if I could leave home and get something to eat.  (I kept forgetting to give them my cell phone number so I was doing all of this on the land line.)  Nobody ever called or came by.  Finally at 6:15 I decided that the cereal I had eaten at 7 a.m. yesterday just couldn't get me through another hour so I left the house and went to Sonic.  I brought my dinner back home and had just poured ketchup on my plate and hadn't even taken a bite when the doorbell rang!

At my front door was Benito the Wonder Tech!!!!  He said, he hoped it wasn't too late.  He said he tried to call the office and have them call me, but they had already left for the day.  He said that if I wanted him to come back today he would, but if I would like to have the work done last night he had all the parts in his truck.  I opted for last night!  He spread drop clothes across my hallway, carried equipment out to the patio and got busy.  Benito was a small guy.  I sat in my living room watching The Bachelorette  but could see him working in my hallway upstairs from where I was sitting.  Let me tell you that Benito was one determined little guy.  He sawed and hammered and pushed and pulled and at 7:30 he asked me to come upstairs please.  I went up and he showed me what he had done.  The old unit was completely disconnected, but he could not get it out of the closet because it was above the furnace which was blocking the doorway.  I had heard him make a phone call a few minutes earlier.  He said that he had called a co-worker to see if they could come and help.  He said that the guy could come out but he was in Arlington so it would be an hour or two.  Benito looked very deflated.  He said that he could wait around for the co-worker to arrive which could be 9 p.m. or so and they could get the work done, but it would probably be midnight or later before they finished.  Or they could both come here this morning at 7 and get it done first thing.  

I didn't have the heart to ask Benito to stay and get it done.  Besides, if they didn't get it finished until midnight, it probably wouldn't even be cool enough to sleep upstairs until this morning anyway.  So, why not just spend one more night on the couch?  So, Benito will be here in less than an hour with reinforcements.  I should have air conditioning before noon and all will be right in the world.  I'll let you know tomorrow how everything went.  Keep good thoughts for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment