Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day Thirty-One - Instructions are Highly Overrated!

I've been up for like four hours and haven't accomplished a thing yet.  I did have bacon and eggs for breakfast and it was very yummy.  I decided a big breakfast was in order today since I have so much to do and don't want to use the "I'm hungry" excuse to stop working as soon as I get started.

So, yesterday afternoon as I was getting my camera ready to go on the trip I realized that my Hawaii pictures were still on my biggest memory card.  I had uploaded them to Snapfish, but did not put them on Kodak which to me is SOOOOOO much easier to deal with.  I like the Snapfish photo books better, but editing and so on with Snapfish is a nightmare!  Since all of those photos were still on the memory card, I went ahead and uploaded them to Kodak.  Yea!  But then of course, there were a lot of photos that were out of focus or blurry or whatever, so naturally I had to delete those.  Then, while I was at it, there was no point in not editing.....  So, now it is afternoon a day later and I have finally come to a stopping point on Hawaii pictures.  Mind you, I am not finished.  But I at least feel like I can stop and start getting my stuff together for Arkansas.



I guess this is an indication that I don't really consider photography or anything to do with photography to be work.  Maybe this is a very good thing.  I was after all, a photojournalism major in college.  I guess it is about time to start putting some of that education to work.  Granted, it has only been 25 years since college.... but still, it is probably not too soon to use my education.

The one thing that holds me back is that when I was in college, everything was done with film.  Now it is all on memory cards.  I got a DSLR a few years ago, but I am still having trouble figuring out how to do a lot of stuff on it.  I "grew up" using a Pentax K1000 which means everything was manual.  The K1000 didn't even have an auto focus.  I had to figure my own lighting.  But my photos were beautiful.

My Pentax DSLR could probably march into the kitchen and do my breakfast dishes on it's own if I could figure out which button to push.  I am just having trouble with figuring out the buttons.  Which means I end up with a lot of pictures that I hate because I couldn't figure out how to make it do what I wanted.  I know that SMU Legacy offers continuing education digital photography classes.  My concern is that I don't want to waste a lot of time on composition and so forth since I already got a good education on that thanks to the amazing Dr. Roach at SFA.  I just want someone to show me how the damn camera works.

I also have an issue with reading instructions.  When I was younger, I would read every word thoroughly in any instruction booklet for anything I got.  Before I was finished with the instruction booklet I was an expert on whatever device I was reading about.  As I have aged, I have become so impatient with instruction booklets that I can barely get past the "READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU BEGIN OPERATION" warning without tossing the booklet aside and just pushing buttons.  That could be contributing to my problem.  What causes this?  I know that if I would sit down and read that booklet cover to cover, I could probably do this.  But even with knowing that, I have put it off for almost three years now.  The most aggravating part of all of this is that if I took a class where they went through each item in the booklet telling me how it works, I would roll my eyes and sigh heavily throughout the entire class because in my head I would be thinking....  "I can read that book myself.  I don't need for you to read it to me!!!!"

With all of this said, I do think I am making progress.  Yesterday, I actually put the booklet in the camera bag so that I can take it to Arkansas with me.  Maybe I can play with it in the car some.  Or maybe I'll just take pictures of the book in poor lighting that are out of focus and then come back and complain to all of you about the fact that I still haven't figured out how the stupid camera works.

I won't be posting again until next weekend.  But I will leave you with a few photos that I took last September while I was in Hawaii.  Aloha!


No comments:

Post a Comment