Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day Fifty - Perhaps a New Opportunity for Me....

Congratulate me!  I have not been able to print anything since I got my new computer because for some reason the printer and the computer were not communicating properly.  It was weird because I connected the printer with the cables and I added the printer to the computer devices.  I could see that they were connected both physically and virtually and when I scanned a picture last week, it went into my pictures.  So there was communication happening between the two devices.  Yet every time I clicked on Print, I got an error message saying that nothing had been sent to OneNote yet.

I couldn't figure it out.  So this evening I finally decided to see if I could figure it out.  I Googled OneNote, it was some sort of Microsoft software that was going to cost $40.  I couldn't believe that if it was software I needed for printing, it wouldn't have been put on the computer already.  So, I decided to play around with trying to add another printer.  I clicked a few buttons and the stupid thing started printing!  I opened the devices back up and there was this OneNote thing in there!  It wasn't there before.  I didn't buy anything.  I guess it was there all along but I just had not clicked on the right thing before.  I guess you can tell from all of this that I am a total computer whiz.

This is why I always laugh when people ask me questions about computers.  My parents do that.  I can tell you anything you want to know about TMMP, I have become proficient at Excel, I'm even pretty good with Word.  But I don't know the first thing about computers.  When I can't get mine to do what I want, I unplug it and then try again after I get it started back up.  When I was working there isn't a doubt in my mind that when I picked up my phone and dialed 1-6900, they all looked at the caller ID and did Rock, Paper, Scissors to see who had to answer.  The loser had to take the call.  It's not that I am a computer dummy.  I have just always had someone to call when the computer or printer or whatever didn't work.

I had a virus on my home computer a few months ago.  I cannot even begin to imagine how many emails, friends, relatives, acquaintances, random people who had sent me one email in the past and everyone else who ever got into my address book whether intentionally or not got from me with this random attachment.  I knew I had a virus when I started getting random emails on my work computer and on my cell phone from myself that I had not sent.  Probably just about everyone reading this got them.

It went on for two weeks before a friend took pity on me and helped.  In reality, he was probably just getting tired of getting the emails.  I think he said that at one point he got 4 or 5 from me in a 24 hour period!  He helped me to get most of the problem taken care of.  After that I found an article on the internet about getting rid of a virus and followed the steps it suggested and it finally knocked it the rest of the way out.

The nice thing about a virus like that is that you get reacquainted with people you haven't talked to in a long time!  I can't tell you how many people who I hadn't spoken to in 4 or 5 years called, emailed, or Facebook'd me to see what was going on with those emails.  The real telling thing though, was the people that I am in contact with on a daily basis never really mentioned it.... because they knew that I was sitting back hoping that a virus fairy would come down and magically fix it.  In my defense, I couldn't turn my computer on at home because it wouldn't work.  And the former employer (who shall not be named) had Yahoo email blocked so I couldn't get into it from work to shutdown the email address or change the password.

So, yeah, I think I deserve a prize of some kind for printing a map on my computer this evening.  My friend Jenny, can tell you that I have sent several emails to her recently asking her to print them for me since I was incapable of it.  So, now we know that not only am I qualified to be a Planner, but I'm also probably well on my way to being qualified to work in IT.  I have to go now.  I'm going to add this to my Linked In profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment