Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day One-Ninety-Five - Stop the Noise!

Oh my gosh!  I got so much work done on the garage yesterday.  It is basically clean.  I still have two more big stacks of shredding to do.  But the garage is clean.  Now I can start moving stuff out of the house and into the garage.  I only have two folding tables.  So, I can't put too much stuff out there until my parents get here with more tables.  This of course means that ET may have to spend a few nights out in the parking lot.  I am not excited about that.  But you do what you have to do.

I'm going to have to stop sleeping with the windows open.  One of my neighbors has a Harley and he starts it at 5:45 every morning and warms it up for several minutes before he goes to work on it.  Once you have laid in bed for 5 minutes or so listening to a Harley that sounds like it is parked on the bed next to you, it is difficult to go back to sleep.  Then you start thinking about all of the things you could be doing rather than just laying in bed NOT sleeping.  For instance, you could be writing your blog and NOT sleeping.  Or you could be carrying stuff out of the spare bedroom closet and down to the garage and NOT sleeping.  You could even just be sitting in front of the TV and catching up on the news with a big cup of coffee and NOT sleeping.  There are really countless things you can do while NOT sleeping that do not take place in a bed.

I really don't have anything against people who have Harley's.  They just shouldn't be allowed to start them between the hours of midnight and 9 a.m. in a residential area.  That's all!  As a girl, I have never understood the point of a loud vehicle anyway.  You see people with huge mufflers on their cars or trucks presumably so that they can make more noise.  Really????  Because when my car makes noise, I take it to the shop.  It is 2012, doesn't the world have enough noise without people attempting to make more of it?  I don't get it.

I was in Barnes and Noble last week and there was a family there with 3 kids.  The mom was talking to someone and the dad apparently decided to entertain his three heathen children by chasing them around the store while they all screamed every time he came around the end of the bookcase they were hiding behind.  You are in a store with other people who may think your kids are cute, but none of us love them so they are less tolerable to us than they are to you and you are trying to make them scream.  That just doesn't seem wise to me.  There can be little doubt that this man has a loud vehicle that he starts 5 minutes before he is ready to leave for work every morning and he probably has to be at work at 6 a.m.

On that evening when I left Barnes and Noble, I went to meet a friend for dinner at Cedar's Woodfire Grill.  It has a good patio so with the weather being the way it has been for the last few weeks, we chose to sit outside.  So did the 3 women with six kids between the ages of 10 and 14 years old.  In fact they sat just a few tables over from us.  Several of the 10 to 14 year old kids were squealing girls, some of the other 10 to 14 year old kids were boys who like to make 10 to 14 year old girls squeal.  When they finished their meal, the women sat and chatted while the 10 to 14 year old kids walked and even ran around on the patio squealing.  The only thing more annoying than a squealing 10 to 14 year old kid is a mobile squealing 10 to 14 year old kid.  When they are mobile you don't know where the next squeal might come from which makes it just a little more nerve racking.

Once a number of years ago when I had to travel on business all of the time, I was staying in a hotel here in Dallas.  I lived in the Houston area at the time.  I had a meeting early the next day and had to leave the hotel at 7 a.m. so I had gone to bed around 10.  At about 2:30 a.m. a large party must have broken up downstairs resulting in people coming upstairs to their rooms very loudly.  These people were obviously misinformed and led to believe that they were the only people staying in the hotel on this particular night since the noise level as they got off the elevator and made their way to their rooms was almost deafening.  I laid in bed thinking that once they reached their rooms, I would be able to go back to sleep.  But apparently, they decided to continue the party in the room next door to mine.  They all went in there and turned on some loud music, and then tried to talk loudly enough to hear one another over the loud music.  I banged on the wall to let them know that as it turned out they weren't the only people in the hotel on that night.  They didn't get the message.  So I called the front desk and asked them to do something about it. They tried calling first.  I know this because I could hear the phone ringing through the wall.  But apparently, they were unable to hear it over the music since they never answered it.  I called the front desk again and they finally sent someone up to tell them to be quiet.  They did get quiet for at least 5 minutes.  Then they started getting louder and louder again until the noise level was at least as loud as it had been prior to the visit from the front desk.  So, I called the front desk again.  This continued all night.

At about 5 that morning, I started getting dressed and decided to leave early since I hadn't slept since 2:30 a.m. anyway.  Their party had died down around 4:30 a.m. but I had been unable to go back to sleep.  So at 6, I was ready to leave the hotel and go get some breakfast but I decided there was no point in leaving quietly.  So I turned the clock radio on and pushed it against the wall facing their room and turned the volume up all the way.  Then I went and opened the door to the hall and remembered that I had not brought everything with me, so I let it slam shut.  Then I opened it again and gosh darn it, I noticed that I had left something else behind, so I let it slam shut again.  After letting the door slam shut 4 times, I left the room with the music blaring and a smile on my face.  They were probably so wasted that they slept right through the door slamming and the music.  But at least I got a little satisfaction out of it.

I usually try to be considerate of other people although I am aware that my voice carries and so sometimes I can be noisy.  But seriously?  I would never dream of starting a loud vehicle at 5:45 a.m. every single weekday morning knowing that it is just feet from my neighbors bedroom window and then just letting it run for 5 minutes.  But now that I think about it, I will need to be up early this Saturday morning for the garage sale and my car will be parked outside because of the garage sale.  I sure hope ET's alarm doesn't go off accidentally just outside of the neighbors bedroom window at 6 a.m. Saturday.... that would be awful!

No comments:

Post a Comment