Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day One-Eighty-Three - Fair Time? Fun Time!

Okay, today I am really tired!  Ugh!  I think I could sleep for a week.  Maybe two.  So, two days in a row, I am working on this blog before 7 a.m.  You may be thinking to yourself, "Wow!  Now that Susan is a business owner, she is all over this morning thing!"  Well, don't get used to it.  I am not now, nor will I ever be a person who gets up early by choice.  It is all about you, people.  I am driving to Nacogdoches this morning and I decided that it would be unfair of me to deprive you of this blog before I left.  And it doesn't stop there.  I'm taking my laptop and staying at my brothers house tonight.  So, I will be able to blog again tomorrow.

So, yesterday my cousins and I went to the fair.  I had a great time.  I hope they did too.  Here is the really great news.  I was able to limit myself to only one corn dog!!!  I know what you are thinking....  "But Susan, this is your one chance of the year to eat unlimited corn dogs!  What were you thinking??!?!?!?"  I may go back.  There was a booth that had really great pillows and I have been wanting a new pillow.  But I didn't want to have to haul a new pillow home with me yesterday.  So, I didn't get it.  Let me show you what I did get.  I know at least one person who is going to be very jealous.


The insoles come out and you can just spray them down when they get muddy.  As I am sure you can imagine, walking across my paved parking lot to the dumpster can be quite treacherous... Not!  We each bought a pair of these.  Well, except for Peter.  He didn't get a pair.  That would have just been weird.  I'm sure that Cindy and Anna will be able to get a lot of use from these when they get back home to Oregon.  I'm not sure that Terry and I will get quite as much use from them here in the Metroplex.  But I'm taking mine to Nac today.  It could rain before I come home and I must be prepared!  These little jewels would have been nice to have had on my feet during at least one day in Barcelona a few years ago.

All in all, I think I did a very good job of walking past vendors yesterday without buying much trash to bring home with me.  This is an achievement.  I have a very low threshold for resisting the urge to buy junk that I don't need.  After all, who among us couldn't use a steel jalapeno griller shaped like Texas????  You know the ones that hold the jalapeno standing up so that the cheese doesn't ooze out of it?  I know I could use one at least once a year.  So, the fact that I made it home without one is remarkable.  I'm still not sure I'm in the clear as far as buying a steam mop goes.  The demonstration for those beauties was pretty amazing.  I actually handled one.  My ugly miserable white tile would look so much better if I just bought a steam mop and there's a website.....

Here's something interesting to check out if you go to the fair.... There is a Celtic rock band playing there and I think the guy said they play 4 shows a day during the fair.  I know what you are thinking.... Celtic Rock????  Really???!??!!?  But give it a listen.  You might be amazed.  Who knew that anybody could rock the bagpipes like this?  http://www.killdares.com/  That phrase just sounds crazy, "rock the bagpipes"?

I rode the train to Fairpark yesterday.  Our DartRail system is kind of great.  I must say that I parked my car at the Arapaho Station at 10 yesterday morning and even with hopping off and changing to the Green line at Pearl St. I was still inside the fairgrounds at 10:50 yesterday.  While I could have gotten there in my car a little quicker than that, I would have paid $15 for parking, spent at least $4 on gas and driven around looking for a close parking place and then still walked 15 minutes from the parking area into the fairgrounds once I had arrived negating the time savings that I would have gotten on transport time.  Taking the train, cost $4 roundtrip and they dropped me off at the front gate.  I was standing next to Big Tex before 11.

The trip home was even quicker and easier!  I walked out to the Fairpark train stop (at the front gate) a few minutes before 6 and the sign said a Green train would be there in one minute, it was.  I got on and went to the Pearl St. Station where a Red line train was waiting, got on it and it left within less than a minute.  I was back at my car by 6:30!  I know that in the last year there has been some publicity about violence on DartRail.  But yesterday, there was a strong presence of Dart Cops on the trains.  My ticket was checked going in each direction which hasn't normally happened to me in the past.  I liked it that someone with a uniform and gun walked through the train checking tickets and sort of checking the passengers out too.

I get aggravated when I spend the $4 for my local day pass and then no one checks it.  I think to myself when that happens that probably half of the people on the train didn't even buy a pass and are just riding for free.  I only saw one man get a ticket in the cars I was in yesterday.  I don't know what the fine for riding without a ticket is, but $4 has to be cheaper.

Well, I am going to finish my coffee and get a little work done now so that I can hit the road.  You guys have a great day.  I'll talk to you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment