Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Friday, October 12, 2012

Day One-Ninety-One - Fingers Not Working, Brain May Be To Blame

You know you had a crappy night when you wake up at 6 a.m. finally drag your butt downstairs at 7:30 since you still haven't gone back to sleep and you are too tired to make your fingers type.  My fingers won't function this morning and I don't blame them.  If I were attached to a body that refuses to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time, I'd protest too.

If you are this tired, why won't your mind stop working so that you can sleep?  I don't understand it.  Even when Will and Grace came on this morning, my mind was moving so fast on other topics that I couldn't just sit back and laugh at whatever shenanigans Will, Grace, Karen and Jack were getting into.  You know it's bad when Karen Walker can't make you just forget whatever you were thinking about and laugh.

The worst part is that if my fingers aren't functioning now, there is little to no chance of making the rest of my body function for the balance of the day.  At 2:00 this afternoon, what do you think the chances of me standing out in my garage sorting and shredding junk mail will be?  Slim to none.... that's what.  On top of everything else, Jingle is grouchy today.  Probably because I kept him awake all night too.  There is only so much a small cat can take.

So, here's the deal.  I can't sleep, I'm too tired to do anything else and I am currently pumping caffeine into myself as though it were a brown, thin blood transfusion.  So in another hour, I'll still be exhausted and non-functioning but I'll be wired to boot.

I just rediscovered how to make an apostrophe while typing.  I've been typing for many years.  I took typing in high school, and if I must say so myself, I think I'm pretty good at it.  I set my fingers on the home keys before I start and I can type without ever looking at the keyboard or the screen if the need arises.  My boss used to come to my desk and start talking to me while I would continue to type but look at and listen to him at the same time.  He was always freaked out by it and would make me stop typing.  I always wanted to suggest that since he was interrupting me, perhaps he should stop talking instead (I still don't see why they didn't think I fit into that companies redirection).  But I digress....

Anyway, getting back to the apostrophe situation.  A few paragraphs back, I typed the contraction "I'll".  But I typed it 6 times before getting it correct because I typed I"ll 5 times using a quotation mark instead of an apostrophe.  If you know your keyboard, you are aware that the quotation mark and the apostrophe are both on the same key.  You hold down the shift key to type a quotation mark.  But for some reason, my brain went all backwards on me and I was holding down the shift key to make an apostrophe and when the quotation mark continued to appear on my screen I went back and did it again.  Then when it continued to happen I pressed the shift key even harder and did it again.  Each time the result was that I got I"ll instead of I'll.  And each time I thought, "what's the matter with my stupid keyboard???!?!?!!?"  I never imagined that the problem wasn't with my stupid keyboard at all, but with my stupid sleep deprived brain.  I think this is a telling sign that it is going to be a difficult day.

I have two travel vendors training programs that I would like to get through today.  I really need to get my bearings on booking land travel.  I think I am down with cruising now.  But land packages are still a bit of mystery to me.  Once I get through these two suppliers, I think I will really be able to start working at building client base and booking some trips.  So, I am going to attempt to get some training done before my brain shuts down again.


No comments:

Post a Comment