Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Friday, April 20, 2012

Day Fourteen - The Real Test

Since yesterday's post I have had a major change in plans.  Rather than me going to Nacogdoches this weekend, my parents are coming to Dallas.  So, today we will know beyond a shadow of a doubt just how clean my house really is.  I personally, don't think anybody can dispute that the downstairs is spotless!  However, I still haven't done much upstairs other than vacuuming and laundry.  So, this morning, I will have a little bit on my plate.  But honestly, I don't think it will take more than and hour to get the upstairs clean, believe it or not!  Shiner and Jingle did their part by getting me up at 6:30 this morning.  I'll get back to that in a few minutes.

So I'm going to put a Beef Burgundy in the slow cooker for dinner tonight.  This is something I have been wanting to try for a while.  I'll go ahead and post the recipe but I won't be able to let you know whether or not it is actually any good until tomorrow.

French Beef Burgundy

1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 lbs. boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tbs olive oil
1 onion, sliced
8 button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 cup burgundy wine
1/2 cup beef broth

Combine the flour, salt and black pepper.  Dredge the beef cubes in the flour mixture and brown in the olive oil in a medium skillet.  Place the beef and remaining ingredients into the slow cooker and mix thoroughly to combine.  Cover; cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours or on High for 2 to 3 hours.

I mean, how can you go wrong?  You mix beef and wine, people are going to be happy, right?  Maybe I'll also bake a cake just to be sure that everyone is happy.

Alright, getting back to my wake up call from Shiner and Jingle this morning.  I had set my alarm for 7:30 since I still have a little bit of cleaning to do upstairs and I have to go to the grocery store before Mom and Dad arrive around one.  Every night I take a glass of water upstairs with me so that I can take my allergy medicine before I go to bed.  I finish the water but there is usually a little ice left in the glass to melt and it sits on my nightstand overnight.  A few storms came through the Dallas area last night.  That usually puts Jingle a little on edge.  So, Jingle was kind of grumpy, Shiner wanted to play and a little argument ensued.  Before, they were finished my glass of water was rolling around on the nightstand, all of the lights were on and I was wide awake.  The result was that I had some time to sit downstairs and drink a few cups of coffee while posting on my blog before I had to get started on my cleaning upstairs.  So, I guess they sort of did me a favor depending on how you look at it.

I was able to help save a lizard yesterday.  The little guy desperately wanted to get in the flowerbed on my patio but Shiner had an eye on him.  I occupied Shiner with shiny objects while I waved my hands at the lizard sending him up the side of the house.  Hopefully, he will stay out of reach today.  I really don't have time for any lizard-sitting.

Well, it is time for me to get busy.  Have a great day and in case I don't get a chance to post tomorrow while I have company, have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment