Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Friday, April 27, 2012

Day Twenty-One - It's All About the Cats

So, yesterday I was going to start getting up earlier, posting earlier, being more productive... yadda, yadda, yadda.  Let me just say that being a productive member of society is not all it is cracked up to be.  I did it for 30 years, I know.  Big deal if I took this week off from being a productive member of society.  I am going to call it my Birthday Week Rebellion of 2012 and next week I'll go back to that whole responsible adult thing.  But in the meantime, I have new photos of my patio including a look at the new rug and water feature since I know that you have all been dying to see it.


This is, of course, the new rug with my existing chairs and cat on them.  I have decided that Shiner and Jingle are photo hogs.  I did not invite either of them to be in the pictures.  I was trying to take photos of my new rug and chair to share with my readers because I know that not seeing them has been killing you.  But there you have it.  Shiner and Jingle each made it into one of the photos.....

Below is the new water feature with Jingle inside the house because he is a big gigantic chicken and will only come outside while the door is open in case a mountain lion comes across the fence and he has to get inside in a hurry.


The really annoying thing about this obsession of Jingle's where the door has to remain open for him to walk outside is if the door is closed and I'm outside, he sits on the other side of it and meows constantly at the top of his lungs begging me to let him come out.  So, I have to put my wine and book down, get out of my nice comfortable chair and open the door to let him out.  But if I stand there as though I am going to close the door behind him once he is outside, he won't come out.  He just rubs his face against the door frame.  The only way he will walk outside is if I go sit back down.  Then he thinks it is safe to walk outside and I won't get up and close the door.  I'm being played by my cat and I must say that it is upsetting.  He is fully aware of my laziness and has no problem with taking full advantage of it. My other option once I have stood up and opened the door is to close it back if he won't walk outside.  When I do this, the loud meowing starts back up.

Jingle was blessed with a powerful meow.  He is doing it right now.  I think he knows that I am currently telling you about it and he wants to demonstrate so that I get it right.  It is hard to describe his meow so that you get the full picture.  But I will try.  Imagine that you are sitting inside a room and imagine that there is a full size fire truck sitting in the room next to you.  Now imagine that the firefighter in charge of the siren has turned it on... in the room... and will not turn it off unless you do whatever he wants.  Now imagine that fire truck is my cat and he is sitting in my living room as I type this.  You get the picture.  So here is what happens when Jingle wants something.  Several of my friends already know about this thing we do.  If I have already told you about this, just bare with me.

Jingle decides he wants something.  I am sitting in the living room and not paying attention to him.  So, he starts meowing.  As the minutes go by, he begins to meow louder and will try to make eye contact with me as he does this to communicate whatever he is trying to say as though I speak "meow" and am simply ignoring him.  When I still don't do whatever he wants, he goes to the photo collage that is hanging in the living room near the TV.  If he gets on the credenza that holds the components for the TV he can stand on his hind legs with his feet on the wall and reach the photo collage.  So, he starts moving it with his paw as he continues to meow louder and louder.

If he doesn't get a response, he then goes to my desk and climbs up on the printer where he can reach a framed autograph of Bob Hope's which I got when I was twelve.  He starts moving that with his paw and trying to take it off of the wall, again, as he continues the meowing.  That is when he usually gets my attention.  So, I finally get up and then I have to follow him around the house so that he can take me to whatever he wants and "show" me.  As I told my friend yesterday at lunch, it is like Lassie taking the mom to where Timmy fell in the well.  Only with Jingle, he was trying to tell me, "I want this door open." or "This water has been sitting here for more than four hours....  can you get me fresh water now?"  It is very seldom anything life threatening.

The most annoying place he takes me is to his litter box upstairs.  It's not that the litter box needs to be scooped when he takes me there.  The issue is that if I am at home and downstairs, he doesn't want to walk upstairs by himself to use the litter box, so I have to go up with him!!!!!  So, I have stand there with him while he uses the litter box. Really????  So, anyway, that is him sitting in the house at the door probably meowing at the top of his lungs yesterday while I was taking pictures of my patio.  The water feature by the way is the pottery looking thing on the right.

A friend suggested yesterday on Facebook that I change my task list so that it reads something like:

  • Post on Blog
  • Drink coffee
  • Sit on patio
  • Have lunch with a friend
It was her theory that by putting those things on my task list, I would be able to get a lot of things marked off.  I think she is on to something.  So, if in the next week, you start to see things like "read another book" appear on my task list you will understand.  But for today, I am leaving it as it is and giving myself one more opportunity to prove that I am not a total slug.

I am planning to go to Nacogdoches tomorrow.  My mom and dad have started going to a place that serves hamburgers and is BYOB and has a band on Saturday nights.  So, they suggested that I come down so we could all go.  Hopefully, my brother Robbie will also be there with Eileen.  I think Ronnie will be at his daughters softball game and Christina is working.  But I am looking forward to it.  I may attempt to post on my blog while I am there but with their internet connection, you should not count on it.  So if you don't hear from me again until Monday, that will probably be why.

I have to go now....Jingle is moving the Bob Hope autograph around and the door is already open, I have already followed him upstairs in the last hour and he has both fresh food and water.  So, it is possible that Shiner has fallen into a well.  Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment