Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day One-Thirty-One - Saturday in Frisco... Bleh!

Yesterday my niece texted me.  She was at her brother Jacob's house in Denton.  Her boyfriend whose name is also Jacob was with her.  He brought her up here on Friday for the Rangers game.  They spent Friday night at her brothers house and then they wanted to come over to my house for Saturday night.  Her brother, my amazing nephew Jacob, who I shall call Jake for the rest of this entry for the sake of clarity suggested that we meet at Stonebriar Mall so that he could get them half way from his house to my house.  You have to remember that Rebecca and her boyfriend are 18 and from a very small town.

So, I got dressed and drove to Frisco.  Now, you need to understand that I dislike Frisco like other people dislike the plague.  Frisco has no redeeming value in my mind.  Too many people live there.  The town was never prepared for so many people to live in it.  It is too far north which means that at any given time, there are more people in Frisco from Oklahoma than any place else in the world including Oklahoma City.  The only place on the planet that I like less than Frisco is Oklahoma.  There are fewer Texans per square mile in Frisco than there are in NYC.  Texans do not live in Frisco.  Most of us have enough sense to steer clear of places like that.

Anyway for the love of my niece and nephew, Rebecca and Jake, I went to Frisco.  To make matters worse, I went to Stonebriar Mall.  Stonebriar Mall is to Frisco as the depths of hell are to the gates of hell.  It is the absolute worst place in the most horrific place you can imagine.  Don't go there!!!!  I'm not sure if you are aware but yesterday was the second Saturday in August.  The entire state of Oklahoma brought their kids to Frisco yesterday for BTS shopping.  Did I mention that it was unpleasant?

In hopes of making this visit to Stonebriar less miserable, I suggested that we go into Dave and Busters and get a pool table and have appetizers.  It was after 4 pm and I had not had anything but black coffee since Friday night.  So, we did.  We spent about an hour playing a couple of games of pool and eating bad nachos, worse potato skins and mediocre spinach dip.  After about 45 minutes we were all bored and ready to leave.  As soon as we got our check and were able to, we left and went over to The Holy Grail.  I really like The Holy Grail, but they have enlarged it and taken the TV's out.  So, that was kind of weird that we couldn't watch the baseball game there.

After Jake, his girlfriend Jeni and I finished a beer we were all ready to leave.  Jake and Jeni were going back to Denton.  Rebecca, Jacob and I had decided to go to a movie.  So, we drove to my house to figure out the movie situation and pass time until we were ready to leave.  We had wanted to go to Studio Movie Grill so that we could get some pizza or something with our movie.  But they were sold out for The Campaign which is the movie we had decided on.  So, we wound up at Cinemark Tinsletown instead.

Taking teenagers from a town of less than 5,000 people to Tinsletown may have been the most entertaining part of my day.  They were totally overwhelmed by EVERYTHING!  The fact that they could get ice cream and a Slurpee at the movie was the most amazing thing ever to them.  Jacob ran into a little trouble with the Slurpee machine but otherwise, we had no issues.  Jacob lives in Central Heights and Rebecca lives in Douglass.  There were probably more people at the Tinsletown on Saturday night than live in both of their towns combined.  They liked the people watching aspect of all of it.

It is now a little after lunchtime on Sunday.  Things are winding down.  We went to Coffee House for brunch this morning.  It was nice.  Now Rebecca is upstairs making her bed.  Jacob and I threw his blanket off of the couch onto the floor so that we could sit.  Water Polo is on again.  Can I tell you how excited I am that this water polo thing is almost over for the next 4 years?  Rebecca and Jacob will be heading back to Douglass and Central Heights soon and I will settle in for Shark Week!  I can hardly wait.  It has been  a very exciting weekend with my trek to Frisco and a movie on a Saturday night something that I hardly ever do.  But Shark Week.... that is really what it is all about.  Have a good Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment