Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Day One-Fifty-Four - Gearing Up for the State Fair!

First of all, I have to say thanks to my friend Debbie for giving me an idea for a topic last night that was so memorable I actually woke up this morning thinking about it even before I came downstairs and read my clear and concise notes about it.  Unlike yesterday's cryptic "Cowboys roots" note, this morning's note is as follows:

State Fair

  • Food
  • Corn Dogs
  • Crazy Fried Foods
  • Auto Show
  • TX/OU Weekend
So without further ado, I present to you a topic worthy of any September blog.

First of all, I am a native Texan.  I have never lived anywhere other than here and I don't really have a great desire to.  If I had to live anywhere else, it would have to be some place where it is 85 degrees all year and the snorkeling is fabulous.  I think that is really the only thing that could get me out of Texas.  With that said, I must also say that the only State Fair I have ever been to is the Texas State Fair.  I don't know what other State Fairs are like.  But I can't imagine that they are any better than ours.

From what I can tell just from reading posts on Debbie's FB status last night, other states also have crazy food at their State Fairs.  Apparently that isn't exclusive to Texas.  I personally, don't get excited about all the different fried foods at the fair.  Just give me a good old fashioned State Fair Corn Dog and a beer and I will be very very happy for another year.  Those giant turkey legs are disgusting and the worst thing you can possibly get at the fair as far as your health is concerned.  You may as well, just open a can of lard and start dipping it out with your bare hand and licking it off.

I have no desire to see what fried Snickers, Twinkies, Beer, Margaritas, or anything else that wasn't meant to be fried tastes like.  I want my corn dog and beer.  That's it.  Those people who walk around with the corn on the cob with juice dripping off their chins gross me out.  You people need a napkin.  You know who you are.  God did not intend for your to carry the corn on the cob coated in butter around with you.  Sit down with a plate if you plan to eat corn on the cob.

Back to what's really important.... my corn dog must have both mustard and ketchup on it.  I run a bead of ketchup down one side and a bead of mustard down the other.  It is like caulk.  I wish it were that thick so that it wouldn't drip off.  But usually, it works okay.  Doing that insures that I get some ketchup and some mustard in each bite.  Now, usually a day at he State Fair begins around 10 a.m. and goes until after 9 p.m.  So, obviously, more than 1 corn dog is required to get through a day that lengthy.  There is the breakfast corn dog, the lunch corn dog, the snack corn dog and the dinner corn dog.  Then of course you have to get a corn dog to go because it is the last one you will get until next year.  So, a successful day at the State Fair could include as many as 5 corn dogs if all goes well.

I have been to the fair before and only stayed for a couple of hours.  That means only one corn dog.  That is a problem.  It means you will undoubtedly have coupons left over.  I hate leaving the fair with coupons in my pocket.  It's like coming home from Europe with 4 euros left.  It's not worth trying to exchange them.  So they sit on a shelf in your house collecting dust.  You can't throw them away.... because it is like throwing away real money.  I always wonder if they will take them if I go back next year and bring coupons from previous State Fairs.  I'm thinking no.  But it could be worth a try.  I mean, if I went back to Europe, they would still take the euros.

The first time I ever went to the State Fair I was probably 8 or 9.  We lived in Nacogdoches and Grandma Meyers was visiting us.  Mom and Aunt Miggie took me, Robbie, Ronnie and Duane along with Grandma to the fair for Czech Day at the State Fair of Texas.  Grandma loved it.  It was the one and only time she got to go.  She got to listen to the Polka bands and speak her native language with the other Czech's who were there that day.  I remember we all got kolaches and Grandma commented that they weren't as good as her sister, my Aunt Bessie's kolaches.  But they were pretty good.  I don't recall if I got a corn dog that year.  And I'm pretty sure I didn't have a beer.  But in the years that I have lived in Dallas, I haven't missed many State Fairs.

One of the most interesting years, was the year that I was in a sheep to shawl competition at the fair.  It was my turn to get the shawl when we were done.  It is now in my bedroom on the end of my bed.  All day, we spun wool that my cousin, Midge and I had dyed one night in her kitchen in Tyler.  As we spun, our friend Judy wove the yarn into the shawl and people would pass by stopping to ask us questions about what we were doing.  It was a lot of fun.  I have done several sheep to shawls before, but that one was more fun because people were stopping and talking to us about it.  They had never seen it being done before and they were interested.  Usually at a sheep to shawl everyone there is actually involved in spinning and weaving so there isn't all of the interest.

Of course, I worked most of that day and so there was no time for corn dogs.  So, I had to go back the next day.  I couldn't find anyone who could go with me on that Sunday, so I went by myself.  It was actually kind of fun being there alone.  I got to do as much people watching as I wanted and I didn't feel bad when I kept getting in corn dog lines.  I spent about half a day in the auto show.  That is always my favorite thing to do at the fair.  I also like going through the exhibits.  You always have to see the butter sculpture.  Why would anybody go to all the trouble of going to the fair without going past the butter sculpture?  That's crazy.  Now that Dart Rail goes down to Fairpark, going to the fair is so easy.  You don't even have to pay for parking.  Of course, back in the day, we parked in someones yard.  All of the people stand out on the streets in the morning and try to direct cars into their yard.  Then they charged you some outlandish price.  But they didn't have much money and I suppose it was one of their few sources of income.

I've always had a policy against going to the fair during TX/OU weekend.  It just isn't worth it.  But two years ago, we did it.  We had tickets for Shrek the musical on the night of TX/OU weekend.  We arrived during the game and everything was going fine until the game ended and then you couldn't move.  It was awful.  I won't make that mistake again.  It would have been okay, if they had a way to get the OU people out of there without them ever going through the fairgrounds.  They should have a tunnel for them to travel through.  We need a policy that doesn't allow people from Oklahoma at our fair.  They just ruin everything.

You will be happy to know that the fair starts this year on Sept 28th.  I was just looking at the website.  I have several issues with this years entertainment.  The first two are Le Freak and The Commodores.  Really?????  As far as I know the only hit song Le Freak ever had was Freak Out and that was when I was in 7th grade.  I'm OLD!!!!!  They should not still be performing.  The Commodores are from the same era but at least they had more than one hit.  It would be kind of fun to go see them perform Brick House.  The other issue I have is that apparently Kevin Costner has a band now?!!?!!?!?  When did this happen?  Am I so out of touch that I am the only person who didn't know that they guy who danced with wolves now has a band and plays the State Fair circuit?  I guess that flop Water World really did take a lot out of him.

Well, I must go and start getting some things done.  You guys have a great short week and happy September.  It might only be 100 degrees today!

http://www.bigtex.com/sft/Entertainment/MainStageSchedule.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment