Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Friday, September 7, 2012

Day One-Fifty-Seven - Food Truck Lunch?

I am obsessed with the idea of Food Trucks.  I started watching the Great Food Truck Race on the Food Network a few years ago.  At the time, I thought, what a great idea and became interested in perhaps some day eating from one.  But time passed and I never did.

Then last year I went to Hawaii and before leaving I read all about the Shrimp Trucks.  I really wanted to eat at Giovanni's which is the most famous Shrimp Truck on Oahu.  On the first day that we had a rental car during that trip, we found Giovanni's at dinner time up on the North Shore.  We stopped and took pictures.  Jenny took pictures of me standing in front of the truck but I didn't get anything to eat because we had been looking for a place to sit down and eat dinner for an hour or so.  Jenny was hungry too and she isn't a huge fish fan.  Plus we would have had to eat standing around outside and we were tired and wanted to be served our dinner.  So we left and found a restaurant to go to for dinner.

Then a few days later, we were at the Aloha Festival which was a street festival in Waikiki and as luck would have it Giovanni's truck was working the festival.  So, I got in line and got my garlic shrimp from Giovanni's.  I have pictures of my shrimp and of the guy handing it to me, and even of me eating it.  It was a big moment, my first meal out of a food truck.  It was good.  Not amazing.  Sitting on a stoop trying to peel the garlic and butter covered shrimp was not easy particularly in a dress.  There was no way to look good while you did it.

We have food trucks here that drive around the Metroplex parking in different places daily at lunch and dinner time.  There are a few websites, and sometimes you can use them to find out where you favorite truck will be on any given day at either lunch or dinner time.  I follow one or two sites very closely but the problem is that they only tell you about when several trucks are going to be in one location together.  So, like today, when they will all be out at different locations at lunch time, you have to decide which truck you are interested in finding and then look them up on their individual website.  I don't know which truck I want to try since I have never been to any of them.

I have "Liked" all of the trucks that sound good on FB.  So, now I get updates when they pull into a location.  I get another update when they open their windows to start serving and yet another when they run out of food and shut down.  If they change their menu during a service, I get an update about that too.  I am in almost constant contact with 4 or 5 food trucks all over he Metroplex everyday.  Yet I have never been to one.  I have been gearing up for it you see.  The problem is that I will start getting messages around 11.  Then I have to get the cats out of the garage and into the house so that I can drive to the location and get there before they run out of food and shut down.

This seems like a real commitment to me just to get a lunch that I will either have to take somewhere and eat alone or stand around outside of my car eating.  I am seriously considering tracking one down today for lunch.  The thing is, I need to go on upstairs as soon as I finish this blog and get dressed start a few loads of laundry and then wait for the messages to come in and then race to the location.  I have a feeling that by the time I get all of that done, I will have talked myself out of this.

I will have to let you know tomorrow if I have a successful food truck lunch today.  There's really only about a 50% chance of me following through on this.  But maybe my taste buds will win out.  I hear the food is really good.  We shall see.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment