Roatan

Roatan
Pirate ship?

Monday, September 24, 2012

Day One-Seventy-Three - Did I Mention, I'm a Procrastinator?

In case you read my blog yesterday, I'm just gonna go ahead and tell you right now, that nothing I mentioned on the blog actually got done.  I wound up playing hooky and skipping church entirely.  Then I never made it out into the garage except to get a bag of carrots out of the freezer.  I did watch football, but even that was lacking.

For a number of years, I had the NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV.  I loved it.  The thing I loved most about it was the Red Zone Channel.  It is amazing.  But I also loved that I could flip from one game to another when the games got really boring and I never had to sit through a game that I had no interest in.  I could also enter my fantasy football starting lineup into a channel and get up to the minute stats without ever having to look at my computer.  I got rid of it last year because it was just too expensive.  I guess anything that great is, right?

So, yesterday I had one early game and one late game.  The early game was the Cowboys and I love the Cowboys so that was good.  But there were a number of times, during commercials, at halftime, etc., that it would have been nice to flip channels and see what was going on in another game.  The second game was the Texans.  Now, I HATED the Oilers when I was growing up.  I mean, nearly as much as I currently hate the Eagles.  But the Texans, I kinda like.  I think it is because they haven't been crammed down my throat the way the Oilers were when I was in high school.  I hated it when we moved to Lumberton while I was a freshman and we only got Saints and Oilers games on Sundays.

Then in Bay City it was even worse.  I had to listen to one of the greatest Cowboys games of all time on the radio by myself in my bedroom on December 16,1979.  On that day the Cowboys were playing the Redskins in Dallas and on the line was the NFC East title along with home field advantage in the playoffs.  Both teams were 10-5 going into the game.  It was Roger Staubach vs. Joe Theismann, good vs. evil, and I was stuck listening to it via a weak AM radio signal in Bay City.  The Cowboys were down 34-21 with 3:49 seconds left in the game and Charlie Waters who had spent the entire season on IR was in the radio booth with Brad Sham.

Charlie was my hero, I had posters of him in my bedroom and I wore a faux Charlie Waters jersey to school every week during football season.  I say faux jersey because it really was. I went to one of those t-shirt stores in the mall that were popular in the 70's and got a blue t-shirt.  I had them put the number 41 on the front and back and "Waters" printed across the back above the number.  I loved that shirt.  I was wearing it at school once in Bay City when someone stopped me and asked if Charlie Waters was really my uncle.  It was one of my proudest moments!  I went home and told my mom that somebody thought Charlie Waters was my uncle.  Looking back, I am not sure why I thought that was great....  If they had thought Charlie Waters was my wink wink... "uncle".... wink wink, that might have been much better.  I have searched the internet high and low looking for a photo of the beefcake poster of him I had hanging in my bedroom when I was in high school to no avail.  A lot of people talk about it.  But there are no copies to post for you.

Anyway, getting back to the game, Charlie was doing the color commentary and Brad Sham was doing the play-by-play.  While the Cowboys were down 34-21 Brad was starting to talk about what would happen as far as wildcard chances if the Cowboys lost and Charlie got upset.  He said, "you've gotta believe".  I paced around my bedroom in Bay City with fingers crossed on both hands chanting "I believe, I believe, I believe....."  and the Cowboys got a turnover.  Then they scored a touchdown with 2:20 left and they still needed one more to win.  I was cheering in my room, so my dad came in to see what was going on.  They were watching a crummy Oilers game in the other room.  I wanted to say, "if you cared you would be in here with me", but instead, I told him about the touchdown.  The Redskins went 3 and out on the next series and punted to the Cowboys.  That's when Roger lead the team 75 yards down the field in 7 plays and the Cowboys won 35-34.  It was absolute greatness and because of the Oilers I had to listen to all of it through a scratchy AM radio signal.  When that team got moved to Tennessee I cheered and believed that it was all just a serious case of Karma coming back to get them because of that day in December of 1979 when I was forced to listen to one of the greatest games in history on the radio.

Anyway, yesterday my second game was the Texans vs. Broncos.  The Broncos always used to be my favorite AFC team, but in recent years that has changed.  I never could get into them with Jay Cutler or Tebow at the helm.  I've never been a big Peyton Manning fan unless it is on a commercial.  On commercials he is genius.  I on the football field..... he's just another overrated dumb looking Manning in my opinion.  Is it just me, or do all the Manning's have Forrest Gump like expressions on their face most of the time???

So, the Texans and Broncos were on TV here in Dallas yesterday afternoon after the Cowboys win and I had the game on but ended up in the kitchen cooking most of the time anyway and didn't really pay attention to it.  It turned out to be a relaxing Sunday.  Nothing got done.  I didn't get to hear the sermon at church that I had been looking forward to.  But I will download it today and give it a listen.

My friend, Debbie posted on FB yesterday that I should wait until it cools down to work on the garage.  I always knew that Debbie was a smart woman and felt like I should listen to her advise a little more closely.  So, I am going to hope for cold weather this week.  I really have to get this thing done so that I can move junk out to the garage before the middle of Oct.  But it is only Sept 24th.....  I have all the time in the world.... right?


No comments:

Post a Comment